Skip to main content

Popdose Rewind: AC/DC, "If You Want Blood (You Got It)"

Today is Free Comic Book Day, which has become a tradition in our house. In honor of getting up early with my son and heading to our favorite local comic store, here is Basement Song post I wrote for Popdose in 2010.

 

Each year the movie industry tries to push up the start of summer by opening their big event movies earlier in
the year.  Used to be that Memorial Day was the weekend that kicked off
the season. Now it feels like mid-April is when the studios begin
pushing their big blockbusters. Pretty soon it’ll be summer year round
and the only way to see small indie films will be through video on
demand or Netflix. For me, the summer officially begins the first
Saturday of May. Throughout the country that day is Free Comic Book Day at the local comic shops. This Saturday, May 1st, Jacob and I will head on over to Brave New World,
the excellent comic store we frequent, getting caught up in the 
zaniness the proprietors will serve up that day. Raffles, baked goods,
discounts, Stormtroopers and droids, and of course, free comic books.



I’m
so happy that my son has become enamored with this art form. It’s one
way that the two of us bond separately from his sister and mother. I
once took Sophie to Free Comic Book Day. She was patient, God bless her,
but after about twenty minutes she began eyeing the front door, hoping
to exit. Jacob is a lot like me; he likes to browse. He takes his time
examining as many of the comics as he possible before determining just
which one to buy. This was my method perusing the aisles of record
stores twenty-five years ago. To this day, on those rare occasions when
I’m in Hollywood and visit the massive Amoeba Records, I can spend a
good hour looking at everything before finally heading to the bin with
the album I originally planned to buy. I suppose I’m not that different
than any other collector.



Perhaps someday Jacob will want to visit
Amoeba, one of the last independent record stores. If his love for
music becomes an obsession like his love for super heroes, soon enough
we’ll be marking Record Store Day on our calendar each year, too.



Music,
of course, is another area where the two of us have a special bond.
Although Jake is well rounded and likes all genres, he seems to lean
toward the harder edged music when it’s just the two of us, knowing he
can crank up the volume. It’s not hard to imagine the day when Jake is a
teenager speeding up the driveway singing at the top of his lungs and
beating the steering wheel in time with the drums, while the car
vibrates from the bass of some hard rocking band,.

That’s one
aspect of summer I look forward to year round: cruising in my car around
the neighborhood, through the city streets or down the highway with the
music loud, the wind pounding on my face and not a care in the world.
This universal feeling of freedom goes back to my adolescence, to the
days of the Whomobile. It was a time when my friends and I would motor
through the Cleveland Metroparks, the Valley, with no particular place to go, just enjoying the camaraderie, the sunny days, and the girls out tanning or playing Frisbee.

And the music.



Tom
Petty, the Who, Zeppelin, the Georgia Satellites, Van Halen, the
Outfield, Peter Gabriel, Springsteen and Rush. The music made the
moment; the people made the memories.

Each summer there were always one or two songs that defined the year. One year it was “Don’t Come Around Here No More;” another year it was the one two punch of “Heartbreaker”/”Living Loving Maid”
These summer songs weren’t sought; they leapt at you and sank their
deep hooks into your heart. At that time radio played an important role
in introducing me to great music. Now I rely on my iPod and the
cornucopia of albums my friends have recommended and sent to me. Thank
God for my iPod. I never would’ve given AC/DC a chance past their hit
songs; I never would have heard “If You Want Blood (You Got It)” from their 1979 album, Highway to Hell.



Angus
and Malcolm Young are in sync, creating another one of their killer
guitar riffs, with Angus going off on two solos. The rhythm section of
bassist Cliff Williams and drummer Phil Rudd keep the number chugging
along with the power of a locomotive. Bon Scott’s gravely voice drips
with the appropriate mix of anger and disgust. Mutt Lange’s production
stays out of the way, letting AC/DC’s meat and potatoes approach to rock
‘n roll keep the song genuine, capturing the band in their prime.
Simply put, this song f’n ROCKS!



As the weekend approaches my
anticipation grows. I can’t wait to spend the morning with Jake,
shopping for comics and witnessing fanboy mania up close; I can’t wait
for our customary lunch at Wendy’s when we’ll pour over the stash we
picked up; and I can’t wait to introduce him to one kick ass AC/DC song,
driving around with the windows down, the wind blowing our hair and our
fists raised high as we welcome in the summer.




originally published April 29, 2010 on POPDOSE












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

The Beginning of an Explanation

When I dropped off of the Internet, it wasn't meant to be a years long sabbatical. I thought I just needed a break; that I was getting burned out from writing Basement Songs and movie reviews for Popdose.com. Something cracked, though, and I couldn't consider writing even in a journal for a very long time. Things changed in the winter of 2017. While driving to pick up Jacob at theater rehearsal, I experienced my first panic attack. It started immediately after he got in the car at the theater and it slowly took over my body for the fifteen minute drive home. My skin became clammy and I felt myself removed from my body. My brain was empty and I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I gutted it out until we walked through the front door. Without saying a word, I went upstairs, crawled into bed and got in the fetal position. I just wanted to close my eyes and shut out the world. The next morning I awoke exhausted, as if I'd exercised the previous day. That was the first time

The End of the Explanation

I don't want to drag this out for a series of extended posts; there's no need to go into the minute details. So I'll wrap up my ongoing mental health journey with this post. After I basically quit writing, I began the work on myself. From 2017 to the middle of 2019, the only things I wrote were 10 minute dramas for our church, and let me tell you, even those were a challenge. But when God gives you a deadline, you don't mess around. There was a real depression that came with the relief of not writing or worrying about writing scripts. Again, if I wasn't writing, what was I doing? I really struggled with this question because we had moved from Ohio to Los Angeles so I could pursue a career in film. Even though I'd written and directed a movie, and sold a script, in my mind that wasn't good enough. I couldn't appreciate all of the great things in my life, and the solid career that I had forged in animation over 18 years. It took some real work: a lot o