Skip to main content

My gracious son


On Wednesday, Jacob put up the bravest Instagram post I’ve ever seen from him. In it, he talked about how cystic fibrosis has not only affected his physical health, but his mental health. This took courage because this young man is only 17.

Throughout the years, he’s struggled with what it’s like to have CF, and what it MEANS to CF. So much of his life has been defined by being Jacob Malchus, the son, the cousin, the best friend, that boy in school or church who has CF, he wondered what it would mean not to have something that has been a part of him for his entire life, even though it’s a chronic illness.
That’s a pretty tough question, one that most adults would have difficulty answering, let alone a teenager.

Being his father, I’ve witnessed Jacob’s struggles first hand. I’ve lost count the number of times I wished I could reach in and remove CF from his body. It’s every parent’s dream that their child stays healthy.

On their way home from the hospital the other day, Julie asked Jacob if he would take away having CF. His response was surprising: he said that he wasn’t sure. Would he be the same? And then he said something so gracious. Jacob said that he would keep CF if it meant someone else wasn’t born with it.

When I hear Jacob’s wonderful statements, and I read at his recent social media posts, I realize that I’m seeing my son mature into a young man. I’ve watched this before with Jacob’s sister, Sophie, and how she has grown into a remarkable woman, one who’s going to change the world (mark my word). Now I’m witnessing the same transformation in my son.

I’m so proud of him (both of them) and I’m constantly questioning “Who is this kid?” I know that I wasn’t as respectful and composed as he was when I was 17. All I thought about were music, movies and girls. I know that Jacob has his own passions (comics, video games), but he also has a maturity that I never did.

The future is bright for Jacob and people with cystic fibrosis, something that wasn’t said in the 1980s, before the CF gene was discovered. We’re so close to a cure. I hope you’re like me and you can’t wait to see what Jacob does when he’s 27, 37, and beyond. This is one special young man.

Please consider giving to our Great Strides walk.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning of an Explanation

When I dropped off of the Internet, it wasn't meant to be a years long sabbatical. I thought I just needed a break; that I was getting burned out from writing Basement Songs and movie reviews for Popdose.com. Something cracked, though, and I couldn't consider writing even in a journal for a very long time. Things changed in the winter of 2017. While driving to pick up Jacob at theater rehearsal, I experienced my first panic attack. It started immediately after he got in the car at the theater and it slowly took over my body for the fifteen minute drive home. My skin became clammy and I felt myself removed from my body. My brain was empty and I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I gutted it out until we walked through the front door. Without saying a word, I went upstairs, crawled into bed and got in the fetal position. I just wanted to close my eyes and shut out the world. The next morning I awoke exhausted, as if I'd exercised the previous day. That was the first time
MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

The End of the Explanation

I don't want to drag this out for a series of extended posts; there's no need to go into the minute details. So I'll wrap up my ongoing mental health journey with this post. After I basically quit writing, I began the work on myself. From 2017 to the middle of 2019, the only things I wrote were 10 minute dramas for our church, and let me tell you, even those were a challenge. But when God gives you a deadline, you don't mess around. There was a real depression that came with the relief of not writing or worrying about writing scripts. Again, if I wasn't writing, what was I doing? I really struggled with this question because we had moved from Ohio to Los Angeles so I could pursue a career in film. Even though I'd written and directed a movie, and sold a script, in my mind that wasn't good enough. I couldn't appreciate all of the great things in my life, and the solid career that I had forged in animation over 18 years. It took some real work: a lot o