Skip to main content

A Trip Through the "My 90's Tapes" Collection Pt. 5: Fishbone "It's a Wonderful Life (Gonna Have a Good Time)"

I was gifted a piece of artwork called "My 90's Tapes" by an artist named Jeff Klarin (https://www.bughouse.com/wall-of-sounds/choose-a-tape-collection-print. It looks like one of my own collections at that time, a mix of rock/classic rock, pop, new wave, punk, dance, heavy metal and soundtracks. I decided to use this artwork as a writing prompt to review all 115 albums pictured and share some personal anecdotes along the way. Consider this me dipping my toe back into the Basement Songs pool.

Had I stayed on top of things, I would've written about today's entry back in December, seeing as it's a Christmas themed EP. You remember EPs, don't you? The abbreviation stands for "extended play," and artists would put them out in between albums when they had some leftover tracks and a new single to promote. Many indie artists would also use the format to create interest in their music while pursuing a record deal. Nowadays, those leftover tracks are saved for "deluxe" editions of albums that get released a year after a record's initial release. Anyway...

Column 1, Row 5: Fishbone "It's a Wonderful Life (Gonna Have a Good Time)"

The legendary Fishbone were a part of the California punk rock scene of the 1980s. They were friends with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and influenced the likes of Primus and No Doubt. Yet, they never achieved mainstream success and have remained a cult favorite for the duration of their existence. It's a Wonderful Life (Gonna Have a Good Time) was released between Fishbone's first album, In Your Face (1986) and the follow up, 1988's Truth and Soul. Fishbone liked to jump around in genre's, which must have made it difficult for the record company to market and radio station's to figure out where the band might fit in their rotation. Were they punk? Metal? Funk? Ska? College radio was the only outlet in the late 80s, and for some reason Fisbone never really caught on. This particular EP sold out and went out of print, which makes its inclusion in this particular collection feel very cool. Didn't we all have at least one cassette or CD that quickly became a collector's item? I had a few.

Side one begins with "It's a Wonderful Life (Gonna Have a Good Time)," which is everything you'd expect from a Fishbone song,  a mosh pit funk ska rocker with topical lyrics about people struggling to make ends meet. The second song on side one is "Slick Nick, You Devil You," a poignant, angry reflection on the holidays about a scumbag named Slick Rick who ruins Christmas. Lead singer Angelo Moore really tears into this one. At first you think it might be some kind of joke, but as the song continues, the pain becomes more apparent.

Flip the tape and you get "Iration," a keyboard driven reggae song criticizing the establishment for marketing and monetizing what Christmas is about, while the people who really need love and healing have faces "twisted with the pain of living." I really wish this one was recorded live with the band, or at least had the band in the studio. The 100% keyboard production distracts from an otherwise powerful message. The EP ends with "Just Call Me Scrooge," a band rocker that concludes the diatribe about Christmas.

That's it. Four and out. 

As I said, It's a Wonderful Life (Gonna Have a Good Time) went out of print, but the four songs were subsequently released on the 1996 CD compilation, Fishbone 101: Nuttasaurusmeg Fossil Fuelin' the Fonkay, although not together in order. In the streaming age, you can now find the EP on Spotify, which I've included below.

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

The Beginning of an Explanation

When I dropped off of the Internet, it wasn't meant to be a years long sabbatical. I thought I just needed a break; that I was getting burned out from writing Basement Songs and movie reviews for Popdose.com. Something cracked, though, and I couldn't consider writing even in a journal for a very long time. Things changed in the winter of 2017. While driving to pick up Jacob at theater rehearsal, I experienced my first panic attack. It started immediately after he got in the car at the theater and it slowly took over my body for the fifteen minute drive home. My skin became clammy and I felt myself removed from my body. My brain was empty and I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I gutted it out until we walked through the front door. Without saying a word, I went upstairs, crawled into bed and got in the fetal position. I just wanted to close my eyes and shut out the world. The next morning I awoke exhausted, as if I'd exercised the previous day. That was the first time

The End of the Explanation

I don't want to drag this out for a series of extended posts; there's no need to go into the minute details. So I'll wrap up my ongoing mental health journey with this post. After I basically quit writing, I began the work on myself. From 2017 to the middle of 2019, the only things I wrote were 10 minute dramas for our church, and let me tell you, even those were a challenge. But when God gives you a deadline, you don't mess around. There was a real depression that came with the relief of not writing or worrying about writing scripts. Again, if I wasn't writing, what was I doing? I really struggled with this question because we had moved from Ohio to Los Angeles so I could pursue a career in film. Even though I'd written and directed a movie, and sold a script, in my mind that wasn't good enough. I couldn't appreciate all of the great things in my life, and the solid career that I had forged in animation over 18 years. It took some real work: a lot o