Skip to main content

FiLM: "The Zone of Interest" (2023)

By all accounts, Jonathan Glazer's The Zone of Interest is a work of beauty. It's impeccably shot, has outstanding, compelling lead performances by Christian Friedel and Sandra Hüller, and contains some of the most remarkable sound design in a live action movie you will ever experience (Tarn Willers and Johnnie Burns, who did the sound design, deservedly won this year's Academy Award for Best Sound). However, this story about a German family living during the second world war is deceptive. 

On the surface, it's a family drama. The film opens with a family on a lovely picnic. They are a loving bunch, and have moved up to some success. The are light moments around the dinner table, the celebration of the father's birthday. there are quiet, romantic moments between the husband and wife. there is a scene of suspense when the father must rush to get two of his kids out of immanent danger. There is even some sadness when the father is promoted and must leave the family at their home while he goes away for work. Glazer films all of these moments in a way that under certain circumstances you could come to care for these people and what they go through. But you won't.

The Zone of Interest is the story of the idyllic life of Rudolf Höss and his family.

For those of you who don't know, Höss was the commandant of the Auschwitz Concentration Camp.  He oversaw and the execution of 2.5 million Jewish prisoners during his time in power. He devised more efficient and quicker ways to exterminate lives, and was responsible for "Operation Höss," which killed 430,000 Hungarian Jews in a mere 56 days. Monster is not a strong enough word. 

Glazer presents the monster as an every man, just fulfilling his duties to the Nazi Party. He goes to work at the camp (right next door to his spacious country home) like any businessman heads to the office. We never see what happens in the camp, only the after effects. Plumes of smoke from the crematorium. Ashes and the bones. The Zone of Interest isn't a film about the visceral horrors of the Holocaust, it's about the banality of evil people. Höss, his wife and children, and the multitude of Nazis we see are unaffected by the mass death and torture. They're just living out their best lives.

Here is where the brilliant sound design come into play. While watching the cute Höss children playing in the garden that Mrs. Höss has build from nothing, or swimming in the backyard pool (with a slide), or riding horses in the countryside, in the background are gunshots,screams, and the ominous arrivals of unseen trains coming to Auschwitz. These are just the usual noises for the Höss family. Background noise.

Friedel and Hüller ground their performances as Rudolf and his wife, Hedwig, with such naturalness and dare I say humanity, you almost forget. But Glazer won't let you forget. Throughout the film, the director cuts away from the Höss family to show the cruelty and devastation they are responsible for. Equally chilling are the casualness of such lines as, "I could have my husband spread your ashes in the river," spoken by Hedwig or "I was unable to focus (on the extravagant party) because I spent my time thinking about the most efficient way to gas everyone in attendance," said by Rudolf.

The Zone of Interest won this year's Academy Award for Best International film. It raises the mirror to the audience and gives us pause to contemplate the horrors may is capable of doing to his fellow man. A vital film during these troubled times. 

The Zone of Interest is still in theaters, available to rent digitally and to stream on Max.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

The Beginning of an Explanation

When I dropped off of the Internet, it wasn't meant to be a years long sabbatical. I thought I just needed a break; that I was getting burned out from writing Basement Songs and movie reviews for Popdose.com. Something cracked, though, and I couldn't consider writing even in a journal for a very long time. Things changed in the winter of 2017. While driving to pick up Jacob at theater rehearsal, I experienced my first panic attack. It started immediately after he got in the car at the theater and it slowly took over my body for the fifteen minute drive home. My skin became clammy and I felt myself removed from my body. My brain was empty and I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I gutted it out until we walked through the front door. Without saying a word, I went upstairs, crawled into bed and got in the fetal position. I just wanted to close my eyes and shut out the world. The next morning I awoke exhausted, as if I'd exercised the previous day. That was the first time

The End of the Explanation

I don't want to drag this out for a series of extended posts; there's no need to go into the minute details. So I'll wrap up my ongoing mental health journey with this post. After I basically quit writing, I began the work on myself. From 2017 to the middle of 2019, the only things I wrote were 10 minute dramas for our church, and let me tell you, even those were a challenge. But when God gives you a deadline, you don't mess around. There was a real depression that came with the relief of not writing or worrying about writing scripts. Again, if I wasn't writing, what was I doing? I really struggled with this question because we had moved from Ohio to Los Angeles so I could pursue a career in film. Even though I'd written and directed a movie, and sold a script, in my mind that wasn't good enough. I couldn't appreciate all of the great things in my life, and the solid career that I had forged in animation over 18 years. It took some real work: a lot o