Skip to main content

GREAT STRIDES 2019

Cystic fibrosis has been in the collective conscious this year.  A recent contestant on American Idol has CF; Salt in My Soul, a heart wrenching posthumous memoir from CF’er Mallory Smith, was released to universal acclaim, and Five Feet Apart, a mainstream Hollywood feature film tackling the illness was not only a critical success, but a box office hit.

More and more people are becoming aware of cystic fibrosis and asking, “What can I do to help?”

This year’s Great Strides is a mere two weeks away. As with every year in the past 17 of Jacob’s life, I’m reaching out for your help.

This past year has been Jacob’s most challenging yet. Three stays in the hospital resulting in pic lines for at-home antibiotic treatments, and just recently a surgery to have a feeding tube placed in his stomach for supplemental nourishment. Throughout ever challenge he faces, Jacob continues to maintain his humor and positive outlook.

And throughout it all, Jacob’s sister, Sophie, his mom, Julie, and I continue our fight to bring an end to cystic fibrosis. The work continues.

Since the CF gene was discovered in the early 1990s, the CF Foundation has work tirelessly to help fund life changing medicines that are nothing short of miraculous.

Currently there are new treatments in the works that will soon be available to prolong and improve the lives tenfold of people living with this horrible illness.

This is not hyperbole.  Within a year, Jacob’s life could change dramatically, as a new drug combination becomes available that targets his specific CF genes.

This breakthrough makes me cry, thinking of the struggles Jacob has endured, and praying that many of his burdens will be lifted, not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually.

I also think about those families who lost the fight to CF and won’t be able to experience this joy, and the families who’ll still wait for the day when their doctor tells them that the medicine is available for them.

We still need your help. And, as I say year in and year out, every single dollar helps.

Think about your Netflix, Amazon, Spotify, Apple Music or Amazon subscriptions. Can you spare what you pay them each month to help end cystic fibrosis? Perhaps a little more?

In less than 30 years, the CF Foundation has literally changed the world and the lives of generations of families living with CF.  With a cure so close, they’re not giving up, and neither can we.

Please follow this link. Please donate. And please help change the meaning of “CF” from cystic fibrosis to “cure found.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

The Beginning of an Explanation

When I dropped off of the Internet, it wasn't meant to be a years long sabbatical. I thought I just needed a break; that I was getting burned out from writing Basement Songs and movie reviews for Popdose.com. Something cracked, though, and I couldn't consider writing even in a journal for a very long time. Things changed in the winter of 2017. While driving to pick up Jacob at theater rehearsal, I experienced my first panic attack. It started immediately after he got in the car at the theater and it slowly took over my body for the fifteen minute drive home. My skin became clammy and I felt myself removed from my body. My brain was empty and I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I gutted it out until we walked through the front door. Without saying a word, I went upstairs, crawled into bed and got in the fetal position. I just wanted to close my eyes and shut out the world. The next morning I awoke exhausted, as if I'd exercised the previous day. That was the first time

The End of the Explanation

I don't want to drag this out for a series of extended posts; there's no need to go into the minute details. So I'll wrap up my ongoing mental health journey with this post. After I basically quit writing, I began the work on myself. From 2017 to the middle of 2019, the only things I wrote were 10 minute dramas for our church, and let me tell you, even those were a challenge. But when God gives you a deadline, you don't mess around. There was a real depression that came with the relief of not writing or worrying about writing scripts. Again, if I wasn't writing, what was I doing? I really struggled with this question because we had moved from Ohio to Los Angeles so I could pursue a career in film. Even though I'd written and directed a movie, and sold a script, in my mind that wasn't good enough. I couldn't appreciate all of the great things in my life, and the solid career that I had forged in animation over 18 years. It took some real work: a lot o