Skip to main content

A Trip Through the "My 90's Tapes" Collection Pt. 6: Joan Jett and The Blackhearts "Up Your Alley"

Column 1, Row 6: Joan Jett and The Blackhearts, Up Your Alley

In 1988, hair metal was on the rise and straight forward rock and roll was losing radio airplay. If the music wasn't a little slick and the mix didn't sound like the record was recorded in a sports arena, there was little chance of getting heard. There were exceptions, of course (Tracy Chapman comes to mind), but for the most part, loud and echoey was the sound of the day. At that time, Joan Jett and her latest version of the Blackhearts had been together for a few years and were clicking. The band members were Ricky Byrd on lead guitar and vocals, Kasim Sulton on bass and vocals, and Thommy Price on drums. Jett was coming off of co-starring with Michael J. Fox in Paul Schrader's film, Light of Day. Although the film wasn't a hit, it was high profile enough to bring the rock legend back into the public eye after years working the road and trying to rebuild the success of her early 80s albums, including the smash, I Love Rock 'n Roll. Additionally, Jett and the Blackhearts played the shit out of the Springsteen-penned title track to the Schrader movie. It was a top 40 hit and received considerable airplay on AOR stations. She was poised for a comeback, and she didn't have to compromise her music a conform to performing power ballads or keyboard driven pop songs like some of her contemporaries (think Heart or Eddie Money). Production values aside, Up Your Alley is just as hard and driving as any of Jett's previous albums, and the addition of Thommy Price makes this one of the most enjoyable rock albums from the late 80s. 

My freshman college roommate owned this cassette, so I heard plenty of it in the fall of '88. The hit from Up Your Alley is the classic, "I Hate Myself for Loving You." The song was a top 10 hit and remains a staple of classic rock and oldies stations to this day (it's still odd to call the songs I listened to in high school and college "oldies,"). That's how Up Your Alley opens, and the rest of Up Your Alley doesn't let up. "Ridin' with James Dean" is an arena crowd pleaser with Price's thundering drums front and center, and "Little Liar" is an old school ballad, something that reminds me of a 70s Aerosmith song. Side one ends with two exemplary cover song. "Tulane" is a fresh take on a Chuck Berry nugget, and "I Wanna Be Your Dog" gave mainstream audiences exposure to the twisted glory of the Stooges.  

Side two is just as strong as the first one, despite some very dated keyboards on the second track "You Want In, I Want Out." Familiar power chords carry "I Still Dream About You," Byrd has some nifty guitar playing throughout "Just Like in the Movies," and Price leads the attack of "Back it Up." The album closer, "Play That Song Again" is a mid tempo, 60s garage band throwback that wraps up everything on a reflective, nostalgic note.

I love this album, and it holds up well considering it came out in an era when anything AOR was as slick as an oil spill. Credit Jett for not applying too many keyboards to the production and for keeping the music true to her brand of rock and roll. Besides Jett, the star on this album is Thommy Price. After stints with Billy Idol and Scandal (his great drumming is all over Rebel Yell and The Warrior albums), he found a home in the Blackhearts and really shined for the twenty plus years he remained in the band.

I was gifted a piece of artwork called "My 90's Tapes" by an artist named Jeff Klarin (https://www.bughouse.com/wall-of-sounds/choose-a-tape-collection-print. It looks like one of my own collections at that time, a mix of rock/classic rock, pop, new wave, punk, dance, heavy metal and soundtracks. I decided to use this artwork as a writing prompt to review all 115 albums pictured and share some personal anecdotes along the way. Consider this me dipping my toe back into the Basement Songs pool.


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

Basement Songs- "Walk Like A Man" by Bruce Springsteen

My father wasn't an easy man to love growing up. I was an emotional kid and I didn't quite get why he wasn't overly affectionate with all of his children. Making matters worse, for me, was that he always seemed to associate better with complete strangers or his students or his fellow teachers. Why couldn't he take the time to talk to me about what book I was reading? I'm sure he would have loved "The Black Cauldron" or "The Great Brain" if he had given them a try. When I reached high school, he and I seemed to reach a level of understanding and we started to get along. I'm not sure what happened, perhaps he had mellowed, or perhaps because I wasn't a rebel rouser like my brother and I wasn't angry all of the time like my sister, it was easier for him to communicate with me. I think some of the things I went through in life and imagine that my dad began to see some of his mortality and he began to realize that he couldn't p