Skip to main content

The Long Hot Summer is Ending

 
It's been a long eventful summer here in Malchusland. The big news is I started a new job. It's with Adult Swim on the series "Smiling Friends." The past three months have been a whirlwind of getting up to speed on the show and becoming familiar with the great crew. 
 
At the end of June we traveled to Virginia for the wedding of my nephew. What a wonderful trip that was, aside from the horrendous car accident my parents got into on their drive from Tucson, AZ (they're okay, but their camper van was totaled). Jacob's girlfriend came with us and it was nice to get to know her better and see her interact with many of our extended family. Especially touching was seeing my cousin, who lost a son to cystic fibrosis meet Jacob. This man has seen the very worst of the illness, and watched as science has changed and saved lives. He has always supported our fundraisers, and I'm glad that Jacob was able to meet him. The wedding itself was a blast, a great opportunity to be with so many relatives we don't get to see anymore. 
 
After the wedding we we drove a rental to Ohio for a fantastic vacation. I caught some baseball and visited many dear friends, including my college roommates whom I haven't seen in together in almost a decade. I'm going to be much better about keeping in touch. Then it was back to scorching California.
We took in a new dog, a wonderful guy named Walt (seen above lounging with our cat, Addy). He's been my constant companion when I'm at the desk working. He lays on the couch while I type away on the keyboard.
 
Sophie and I went to Denver for a fabulous weekend of baseball and good local food. A week later, Sophie, Julie and I attended the San Diego Comic Con and got to see the growing popularity for the "Smiling Friends." I'm very lucky to be a part of a show on the rise. 
 
Through it all, I've made some progress on the novel. Just before our vacation I realized that I needed to do major revisions to combine chunks of the third part. This epiphany revitalized my creative energy and I feel closer to completing the book than I have ever. Mind you, I still have at least a year until the first draft is complete, but that doesn't seem as daunting as it did even a year ago, let alone when I started writing it.
At the same time, I'm settling in to working remotely and trying not to have my heart broken too much each time my Cleveland Guardians lose a game. This game of baseball, man, it can crush you.
 
As for you, my thirty-ish readers, I haven't deserted you. I want to keep Thunderbolt alive and powered by human intelligence. I still have all those damn tapes to review! I hope you'll stick around. Who knows, I may even share the Epic Playlist I've been co-creating someday soon. I promise to check in once a week, in between meetings and trying to complete the book.
 
Aloha!

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

Basement Songs- "Walk Like A Man" by Bruce Springsteen

My father wasn't an easy man to love growing up. I was an emotional kid and I didn't quite get why he wasn't overly affectionate with all of his children. Making matters worse, for me, was that he always seemed to associate better with complete strangers or his students or his fellow teachers. Why couldn't he take the time to talk to me about what book I was reading? I'm sure he would have loved "The Black Cauldron" or "The Great Brain" if he had given them a try. When I reached high school, he and I seemed to reach a level of understanding and we started to get along. I'm not sure what happened, perhaps he had mellowed, or perhaps because I wasn't a rebel rouser like my brother and I wasn't angry all of the time like my sister, it was easier for him to communicate with me. I think some of the things I went through in life and imagine that my dad began to see some of his mortality and he began to realize that he couldn't p

A Trip Through the "My 90's Tapes" Collection Pt. 6: Joan Jett and The Blackhearts "Up Your Alley"

Column 1, Row 6: Joan Jett and The Blackhearts, Up Your Alley In 1988, hair metal was on the rise and straight forward rock and roll was losing radio airplay. If the music wasn't a little slick and the mix didn't sound like the record was recorded in a sports arena, there was little chance of getting heard. There were exceptions, of course (Tracy Chapman comes to mind), but for the most part, loud and echoey was the sound of the day. At that time, Joan Jett and her latest version of the Blackhearts had been together for a few years and were clicking. The band members were Ricky Byrd on lead guitar and vocals, Kasim Sulton on bass and vocals, and Thommy Price on drums. Jett was coming off of co-starring with Michael J. Fox in Paul Schrader's film, Light of Day . Although the film wasn't a hit, it was high profile enough to bring the rock legend back into the public eye after years working the road and trying to rebuild the success of her early 80s albums, including the s