Skip to main content

Amercian Idol




I’m sure many people have seen the American Idol episode
that aired last week featuring Kayden Stevenson, a sixteen-year-old boy with cystic
fibrosis. The kid has guts and swagger and he was given a golden ticket and put through to the Hollywood
week (meaning, the cattle call in which everyone who was accepted in their
respective audition cities begins competing for a spot in the actual show).





This boy said something about his disease that has been sitting heavy on my mind ever since it was broadcast. When describing CF as a terminal illness, he said that he has a life expectancy of 35. As soon as he said this I felt like something was left out. That is, "the average life expectancy age is 35." I knew there might be some misunderstaniding about this fact. Indeed, some TV critics picked up on what Kayden said and wrote things like, "he has Cystic Fibrosis, which means he probably won't live past the age of 35" (Zap2it) and "Ridiculously cute kid with cystic fibrosis and a life expectancy of only 35" (TV Line).



I've never met any CF'ers who tell you that they're only going to live until they're 35. Every person I've ever met who has CF recognizes what the average life expectancy is and how they plan to do whatever they can to live well beyond that age.



The average life expectancy doesn't mean that a person with CF will only live until 35. In fact, with the medicines that are on the horizon, people with CF may live very long lives, well beyond the average expectancy. And all CF parents know this. A person of Kayden's age should know this. Watching the video that American Idol presented about this young man made me a little angry because I felt like they were trying to manipulate the audience into thinking that this boy was on the verge of dying, when that may not be the case.




Maybe I'm being overly sensitive because I'm a parent of a CF kid. Maybe I'm being cynical because I work in the entertainment industry and I know how video can be edited to elicit a particular feeling (and, let's be honest, it makes for better ratings when you have a kid fighting a chronic illness audition). But I want people who watched that show to understand that having CF doesn't mean you will die at 35. Not if I have anything to do with it.


 




Kayden's appearance on the show will surely inspire millions of
people, in particular those kids who live with CF. Hopefully it will also inspire people to find out more about CF and ways they can help find a cure for the disease.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

The Beginning of an Explanation

When I dropped off of the Internet, it wasn't meant to be a years long sabbatical. I thought I just needed a break; that I was getting burned out from writing Basement Songs and movie reviews for Popdose.com. Something cracked, though, and I couldn't consider writing even in a journal for a very long time. Things changed in the winter of 2017. While driving to pick up Jacob at theater rehearsal, I experienced my first panic attack. It started immediately after he got in the car at the theater and it slowly took over my body for the fifteen minute drive home. My skin became clammy and I felt myself removed from my body. My brain was empty and I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I gutted it out until we walked through the front door. Without saying a word, I went upstairs, crawled into bed and got in the fetal position. I just wanted to close my eyes and shut out the world. The next morning I awoke exhausted, as if I'd exercised the previous day. That was the first time

The End of the Explanation

I don't want to drag this out for a series of extended posts; there's no need to go into the minute details. So I'll wrap up my ongoing mental health journey with this post. After I basically quit writing, I began the work on myself. From 2017 to the middle of 2019, the only things I wrote were 10 minute dramas for our church, and let me tell you, even those were a challenge. But when God gives you a deadline, you don't mess around. There was a real depression that came with the relief of not writing or worrying about writing scripts. Again, if I wasn't writing, what was I doing? I really struggled with this question because we had moved from Ohio to Los Angeles so I could pursue a career in film. Even though I'd written and directed a movie, and sold a script, in my mind that wasn't good enough. I couldn't appreciate all of the great things in my life, and the solid career that I had forged in animation over 18 years. It took some real work: a lot o