Skip to main content
Yesterday was hell. And I didn't even run.



Long day at work and Julie had her first, of many I'm sure, battles with the insurance company. We received a wonderful bill from the hospital of which we'll be expected to pay 80%. But most importantly, we received Jacob's Vest.



The Vest is this remarkable device that CF patients use for their PT (Percussive Treatments). It plugs in to the wall and then uses air pressure to pound on the person's chest and back. As the name indicates, it slips over their head like a vest.



We learned last week that Jake would be receiving it. That news was kind of... strange. And when we had it in our homes... well, it was another one of those moments inwhich I felt overwhelmed by the weight of this disease.



You see, it's like you have these moments when you kind of forget that there's anything wrong with your child. At least, I have those moments. Generally it happens during family events when I'm watching Jake play with the other kids. He seems so.... normal. And then, as if just thinking he's "normal", a shot rings out and I say to myself "but he's not normal. He has CF."



At home, it's easier to place the CF in the back of my mind. We've adapted to the disease; his meds and breathing treatments have become part of our daily life. So the arrival of this new machine into our home might as well as been a boulder falling through the roof.



"Hey, look what just dropped in."



It's kind of like Pacino in "Godfather 3"... "Just when I think I'm getting out, something always pulls me back in". Just when you think you have a handle on this f'n disease and taking back the reigns, something new drops in.



FUNDRAISING UPDATE:



We're making good progress. We've broken the $1K mark and some of the heavy guns haven't even weighed in yet. I'm feeling really confident about reaching my goal.



Today I ran four miles in forty minutes using the run/walk method. I pushed myself a little harder today and it felt great, though, I have a long way to go if I think I can run at that pace for 26 miles.



Forgot my MP3 player at work again, so tomorrow I'm stuck with the same songs. My God, if I have to hear Pete Yorn's "Murray" one more time I may vomit (for those of you who don't own Yorn's debut album "musicforthemorningafter", go get it).



Today has been a better day. This script I'm working on is killing me, though. Not getting enough sleep. Springsteen is less than 2 weeks away and I love that Jayhawks album. Take care.



S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning of an Explanation

When I dropped off of the Internet, it wasn't meant to be a years long sabbatical. I thought I just needed a break; that I was getting burned out from writing Basement Songs and movie reviews for Popdose.com. Something cracked, though, and I couldn't consider writing even in a journal for a very long time. Things changed in the winter of 2017. While driving to pick up Jacob at theater rehearsal, I experienced my first panic attack. It started immediately after he got in the car at the theater and it slowly took over my body for the fifteen minute drive home. My skin became clammy and I felt myself removed from my body. My brain was empty and I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I gutted it out until we walked through the front door. Without saying a word, I went upstairs, crawled into bed and got in the fetal position. I just wanted to close my eyes and shut out the world. The next morning I awoke exhausted, as if I'd exercised the previous day. That was the first time
MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

The End of the Explanation

I don't want to drag this out for a series of extended posts; there's no need to go into the minute details. So I'll wrap up my ongoing mental health journey with this post. After I basically quit writing, I began the work on myself. From 2017 to the middle of 2019, the only things I wrote were 10 minute dramas for our church, and let me tell you, even those were a challenge. But when God gives you a deadline, you don't mess around. There was a real depression that came with the relief of not writing or worrying about writing scripts. Again, if I wasn't writing, what was I doing? I really struggled with this question because we had moved from Ohio to Los Angeles so I could pursue a career in film. Even though I'd written and directed a movie, and sold a script, in my mind that wasn't good enough. I couldn't appreciate all of the great things in my life, and the solid career that I had forged in animation over 18 years. It took some real work: a lot o