Skip to main content

Just another update

The weekend was excellent. Julie's birthday was Saturday and we had an opportunity to go out like adults. The two of us went to dinner while Budd watched Sophie and Jacob. It sucks that she had to work on her birthday, but we both understand the reality of our lives. You take work when they give it to you. This year the kids got her a Rachel Ray cookbook, which Julie was excited to receive. I bought her a new Alison Krauss compilation. I nearly bought her an MP3 player so she would have a source for her own music while she drives around town. I'm determined to make sure she continues to have the kind of music she likes so that someday she can actually listen to something other than Radio Disney.

Sunday was spent straightening up the house. We planted shrubs outside the front doorway. It was a very casual day. That night, a couple of Julie's friends (other moms from school) took her out for drinks to celebrate her birthday. I'm glad that she went, in fact, I told her to go. She needs to have adult friends to go out with wand bitch about things and/or just talk about nonsense shit. And it's good for to have adult interaction with people other than me. I know how therapeutic it was to have Steve come and visit and for the two of us to have time to just talk and bullshit. She had a good time.

Yesterday, we cleaned the house for Mom and Dad's arrival on Thursday. I have to tell you, I really am touched that they drive out here every year to participate in this walk with us. I know that they usuall6y do the walk in Tucson, as well. They could easily just stay in Arizona, but they are determined to let us know that they are going to support us in every way they can. We also took the kids to see "Shrek the Third". Of the four movies I watched over the weekend, it wasn't the worst, but it was the second most disappointing. Honestly, I felt it retread a lot of ground from the second film. Still, the kids liked it a lot.

The dark cloud appears to be lifting off of my head for the timing being. I need to take advantage of this time and write as much as I can before that crap comes back. There were times over the weekend when I just felt so empty, as if I have a huge pit in my belly that needed to be fed. Yet, no matter how much I ate, there isn’t enough food in the house to fill it. After two days of eating crap, I quite bloated. Gads.

Like I said, I saw four movies over the weekend. I finally watched "Amelie", after having a copy in my possession for, oh, six months? It's my friend’s copy. Actually, it has become sort of a running joke that it has taken me so damn long to watch it. I thought it was a nice movie, visually stunning and all, but it tired me. Seriously, I started watching at 9:30 and dozed off a couple of times. I can't blame it entirely on subtitles. The second film I saw was "A Civil Action" starring John Travolta. The film was very disappointing considering the pedigree of talent. But I had read about 100 pgs. of the book the movie is based on and the movie glosses over a great deal of information that could have proved very cinematic. Travolta was completely wrong for the part. I mentioned Shrek already.

Yesterday morning, Sophie woke up early and after I returned from my walk, we watched "Night at the Museum" together. I am a big Ben Stiller fan, but I didn’t know what to expect. I loved this movie. And I loved that Sophie and I had an opportunity for the two of us to watch it together while Jake and Julie slept in. She and I don't get to do things like that much. This is my biggest concern, that she will feel neglected. I believe that after this weekend she and I will begin riding our bikes to the Library on a regular basis. We have done it once and it was great fun.

Finally, I have to mention that we have raised over Twelve Thousand dollars so far this year (Team Jacob, that is). This is incredible. Bloggers For A Cure is a great success. Considering that they kind of threw it together (Jeff's words), I'm am proud that they raise nearly $2000. Most astonishing is Pam Adlon, Karyn's friend (also the voice of Bobby Hill on "King of the Hill" and Andy on "Squirrel Boy"). Pam has raised over FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS in less than a week. Fuckingu8nbelieavable (pardon the French). If there are any of you out there that even glance over this blog and you haven't made a donation... please consider donating.

That's all I have for now.

Aloha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

The Beginning of an Explanation

When I dropped off of the Internet, it wasn't meant to be a years long sabbatical. I thought I just needed a break; that I was getting burned out from writing Basement Songs and movie reviews for Popdose.com. Something cracked, though, and I couldn't consider writing even in a journal for a very long time. Things changed in the winter of 2017. While driving to pick up Jacob at theater rehearsal, I experienced my first panic attack. It started immediately after he got in the car at the theater and it slowly took over my body for the fifteen minute drive home. My skin became clammy and I felt myself removed from my body. My brain was empty and I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I gutted it out until we walked through the front door. Without saying a word, I went upstairs, crawled into bed and got in the fetal position. I just wanted to close my eyes and shut out the world. The next morning I awoke exhausted, as if I'd exercised the previous day. That was the first time

The End of the Explanation

I don't want to drag this out for a series of extended posts; there's no need to go into the minute details. So I'll wrap up my ongoing mental health journey with this post. After I basically quit writing, I began the work on myself. From 2017 to the middle of 2019, the only things I wrote were 10 minute dramas for our church, and let me tell you, even those were a challenge. But when God gives you a deadline, you don't mess around. There was a real depression that came with the relief of not writing or worrying about writing scripts. Again, if I wasn't writing, what was I doing? I really struggled with this question because we had moved from Ohio to Los Angeles so I could pursue a career in film. Even though I'd written and directed a movie, and sold a script, in my mind that wasn't good enough. I couldn't appreciate all of the great things in my life, and the solid career that I had forged in animation over 18 years. It took some real work: a lot o