Skip to main content

WHMP RIP Edition 1-25-06




From: Scott
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006
To: Steve

Hey,

I did my best to find some connection between Chris Penn and Wilson Pickett, but the task was fruitless (and I ran out of time). I'm sure that out there, somewhere, someone can find a movie in which one of Pickett's songs appeared in a Chris Penn movie.

I was going to dedicate today's song entirely to Pickett, but I've always been a fan of Penn, even getting excited when he appeared on a recent episode of Everwood> So I thought it fitting to include a dedication to him in this week’s edition of the hump day song.

I first became exposed to “Wicked” Pickett in the summer of ‘87, when I went on a soul music kick after discovering Otis Redding in Washington DC. I had bought some Atlantic cheap-o compilation and wore it out. From there, I bought similar tapes by Aretha, Sam & Dave and Wilson Pickett. Of those three, Pickett’s tape got the most use. The common thread of all four of these artists was the passion they brought to their music, whether it be a ballad or a balls out jam. But Pickett had an intensity about his voice that sounded dangerous. And I liked that.

I vividly recall cleaning out the red van the day after the Petty concert (I had too, thanks to Mr. Sprague) and listening to that Wilson Pickett tape over and over again. Brookshire was hangin’ out with me and he commented on several of the songs. At the time, he was kind of joking about the songs. However, there is a part of me that believes that Matt was attracted to Pickett’s intensity, too. I’m sure Matt liked the danger and the darkness of Pickett’s voice. That would have been something Matt dug. Instead of replaying “In the Midnight Hour” or “Mustang Sally”, here is a song I love. “634-5789 (Soulsville USA)”.

As for Chris Penn, like I said, I’ve always admired his work. While I am one of the few who saw “The Wild Life” (even Cameron Crowe seems to disown the movie), I thought he was funny/sad in the role. More poignant was his role in “All the Right Moves” as the football star who gets his girlfriend pregnant and they decide to wed. He thinks his life is going to be great... An extension of high school. But we all know where that guy is headed. He’ll work the steel factory the rest of his life ... Or at least until it shuts down. Great work. Of course, he really hit his stride in the 90’s as a character actor. Which brings us to “Little Green Bag” by George Baker.

I’ll never forget watching “Reservoir Dogs” in the basement of my house, drinking Seagram's... At about 4 in the afternoon. Strange experience, but I knew I was watching something special. Penn, of course, shines in this movie. Like most of his films, he had a natural ability to plan menacing and hurt at the same time. One need only watch “Short Cuts” again to marvel at his standout performance. The guy is going to be missed.

That’s it for this week.

Best,
S


From: Steve
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006
To: Scott

Another terrific message. This Wednesday ritual has become the eye of the hurricane for me. Thank you for the 8,392nd time for your thoughtfulness.

I tried to track down your blog not long ago without success. What's the address?

From: Scott
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006
To: Steve

www.augustone.com

Funny, I just came across this brief mention of today’s song on Roling Stone’s web site....

“When Pickett first heard this Eddie Floyd-Steve Cropper song, he called it "a piece of shit"; he and Floyd nearly came to blows. But the heated contrast of Pickett's bravado against the smooth groove and backing chirp of Patti Labelle and the Bluebelles made "634-5789" the hottest phone number in the land.”

Glad I can be of a service. Take care.
S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MARATHON FOOTNOTES (for those who didn't think I would really footnote a stream of consciousness thought): Footnote #1 Academy Award Winning Best Picture Films from 1969 to the Present: Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection, The Godfather, The Sting, The Godfather II, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Rocky, Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Amadeus, Out of Africa, Platoon, The Last Emperor, Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves, The Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindler’s List, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Footnote #2 Members of the band YES, from 1969 to the present: In 1969, Yes is formed with Jon Anderson on vocals Peter Banks on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums, Tony Kaye on keyboards and Chris Squire playing bass. This group records

The Beginning of an Explanation

When I dropped off of the Internet, it wasn't meant to be a years long sabbatical. I thought I just needed a break; that I was getting burned out from writing Basement Songs and movie reviews for Popdose.com. Something cracked, though, and I couldn't consider writing even in a journal for a very long time. Things changed in the winter of 2017. While driving to pick up Jacob at theater rehearsal, I experienced my first panic attack. It started immediately after he got in the car at the theater and it slowly took over my body for the fifteen minute drive home. My skin became clammy and I felt myself removed from my body. My brain was empty and I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I gutted it out until we walked through the front door. Without saying a word, I went upstairs, crawled into bed and got in the fetal position. I just wanted to close my eyes and shut out the world. The next morning I awoke exhausted, as if I'd exercised the previous day. That was the first time

The End of the Explanation

I don't want to drag this out for a series of extended posts; there's no need to go into the minute details. So I'll wrap up my ongoing mental health journey with this post. After I basically quit writing, I began the work on myself. From 2017 to the middle of 2019, the only things I wrote were 10 minute dramas for our church, and let me tell you, even those were a challenge. But when God gives you a deadline, you don't mess around. There was a real depression that came with the relief of not writing or worrying about writing scripts. Again, if I wasn't writing, what was I doing? I really struggled with this question because we had moved from Ohio to Los Angeles so I could pursue a career in film. Even though I'd written and directed a movie, and sold a script, in my mind that wasn't good enough. I couldn't appreciate all of the great things in my life, and the solid career that I had forged in animation over 18 years. It took some real work: a lot o